Wednesday 19 December 2012

Ravenwing Bike Sgt Complete (Just About)!

This blog seems to be doing my painting good - today I found that I had the motivation to finish the Dark Vengeance Ravenwing Bike Sgt that I've been working on for waaaaaay too long!  Well, I say 'finish' - he obviously isn't based yet, and I need to write something on the scroll on his right shoulder pad.  I've not highlighted the tyres yet either - but I may want to match that to the basing, which I haven't decided on yet (this being the first Dark Angel I've painted), so that can wait.  I really wish there is some way I could fill the gaps down the centre of this model, but it would have been almost impossible to paint if I had properly assembled it first :(  Anyway, without further a do, here it is:




Far from perfect I know, but as I say, I'm still learning! :P  Seeing as I was talking about adding 'eyeliner' (or should that be 'guyliner') to human models in yesterday's post, here's a close up crop of this Sergeant's face:


The eye on the right (his left) is the one I painted first, and for some reason it seems to have been the more successful of the two!  I think we can agree that 'eyeliner' makes a big difference on models like this though - it makes them look a lot more human and realistic.  It's annoying that you can see so many imperfections in the paintwork when it's blown up like this, but they aren't quite so noticeable in real life.

Just for fun (and an an attempt to help those newer to painting than I am), I've decided to show all the paints I used on this model.  I think I used nearly everything I own!  You can see them all in the photo below, which also shows you how messy my workspace is - something that I really ought to fix!  It's especially annoying when dust/crap from doing conversions gets into your paint!  Anyway, here they are:


One especially cool paint that I forgot to add to the picture is Vallejo Metal Medium.  This stuff is basically a plain white metallic that you can mix with other acrylics to make a metallic version of that colour.  I've not actually tried doing that yet, but I found that it made a great highlight for the GW Boltgun Metal paint that I used on the blades of the chainsword - it's much brighter than the Mithril Silver I'd normally use, and gives a really 'sharp' look to the blades.  I will report back when I've actually used the product the way it was intended to see how it works!  Hopefully it will be as good as Vallejo Thinner Medium, which I love (I promise I'm not on commission from Vallejo)!  Anyway, that's all for this post - I just thought I'd show off the latest fruits of my labours - this being a painting blog and all :P


No comments:

Post a Comment